Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Daniel McNaughton


Daniel McNaughton spoke from his heart in our last class. He gave us insight into his life which have truly shaped and molded him to become the leader he is today. He spoke to us about his early life and how his questioning of faith drew him away from Christ because people were not able to answer his questioning. As a student today at Valley Forge Christian College this makes me appreciative of my education but at the same time causes me to think again about what I am learning. I have dealt with people who have questions about the Christian faith and because of this I have studied in this area but what about the rest of the students who are not learning this information. This is my final semester at Valley Forge and I cant recall many times when we answered those tough questions like “how do we know our bible is truly God’s word?” and “how do we know that our God is the right God amongst a world that provides many other options?”  It is these questions that our generation is asking but we remain silent in these issues. This seemed to make Dr. McNaughton take a different route in learning how to make disciples and I love his enthusiasm for making followers of Christ. This passion has stirred me to long for a better approach to making a follower of Christ who is able to answer those tough questions that people are asking. Also, I like how Dr. McNaughton dealt with connecting people. In many ways that people often think of he is focusing on connecting people. Even with the groups of people he finds to have the same evangelism focus he would choose to disciple them together. It seems that discipleship occurs in community and therefore it would be beneficial to create genuine community between people before discipling them. If a group of people or pair of people has the ability to be open and loving with one another imagine how much growth can occur. I loved how the 7 attributes have become a major part of the church’s focus on discipleship because it has a biblical base with a culturally relevant and easily applicable method. Thus, this makes it highly useful and manageable. 

No comments:

Post a Comment