Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Marcus Buckingham

Marcus Buckingham in a world that focuses on people learning how to work to fix their weaknesses we encounter a method that attempts to have people use their strengths to succeed. In my own life I am one who always spent my time trying to cater to my weaknesses. But in realizing that if I work towards my strengths I can achieve more. The idea of managing around weaknesses is very interesting because it almost poses one’s weaknesses as something that will never change. This is hard for me to swallow because I do not like giving up on things and it seems like “managing” around my weaknesses means giving up. I think Marcus explained this well when he said understand your strengths and use that to overcome your weaknesses. By use of my strengths I can learn how to cope with my weaknesses. Also, I found it interesting what he said about how we in the United States learn about things by studying the bad in attempts to get the good. One of the best things Marcus said was that you learn excellence by studying excellence. Though I think it its still good to keep in mind the things that may cause one to fail, I like the concept of focusing on one’s strengths in order to succeed in the arenas one knows they can. For example, I know I am not good at soccer so I am not going to try to become a soccer player but I would use my passion for something like construction and use that to play soccer if I need to. Overall, I think Buckingham’s method is very useful and I would like to incorporate it into my future ministry.

No comments:

Post a Comment